Lollygaggering

Friday, August 15, 2008

Scrabble and Golf

Why do I lose it when I play Scrabble and golf? Here's why:

Scrabble: I am a purported wordsmith. I got 800 on my verbal SATs. I can write okay. I am better than most of my friends and acquaintances at crossword puzzles. But I SUCK at Scrabble and I am thoroughly embarrassed by the fact. So when I try to play, my embarrassment turns into pettiness and poor sportsmanship and I get as mad as mad can be.

Golf: There are semifamous golfers who share my last name. When I took a golf class in college, my teacher was all excited because he thought I was going to be great by virtue of my last name. I did not do well. I SUCKED. I was so embarrassed that I could not live up to my name, and that embarrassment turned into the poorest of sportsmanship and the most childish of tantrums on the golf course. Since the worst of those tantrums, I took a solemn vow not to play golf ever again. This was in 1998, I believe, and I have stayed true to my oath.

So last night, Himself and I played Scrabble and I was so convinced I could keep my cool. I could not. It was a disaster.

So do I need to take an oath against Scrabble?

5 Comments:

At August 15, 2008 1:55 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Its so funny about Scrabble because it isn't nesassarily the spelling that is the problem with the game. Its just as much a game about strategy as it is about spelling.

Its knowing and utilizing the double and triple word/letter scores to get the most points. I can't spell all that great, but I consider myself an okay scrabble player.

I do understand the competitive streak though... I hate to lose, but am kinda use to it. I lose a lot!

 
At August 17, 2008 5:02 PM, Blogger Caleb Summerhays said...

You better not take an oath on Scrabble. It's bad enough you took an oath on Golf, but Scrabble? You know, scrabble is part luck. It all depends on the letters you get, you just have to recognize the words. Say hi to Himself and your cats, burket and eyesis.

 
At October 09, 2008 9:13 AM, Blogger artemisandollie said...

I suck at Scrabble too. I always tell people that they don't want to play with me and they think I'm offering up false modesty. I'm not, I truly suck. With me it's that I'm insanely slow. I try and force myself to go faster but I can't. I just can't.

I loved the "cat's pajamas" comment!

cwc on fMh

 
At December 09, 2008 5:07 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

Wonder if you need more practice at word puzzles before you start Scrabble again, or more experience with frustration.

 
At September 07, 2009 8:22 AM, Blogger Summer said...

Don't listen to AWSOME, he just says scrabble is part luck because I usually win. In fact, I usually win Joe, and He prides himself on his vocabulary and common use of rarely used words.
My advice is to get a scrabble dictionary, it opens your eyes to the possibilities. I'll give you two easy words to use next time: aa=some kind of state of lava before it dries, derived from the Hawiian language, and qat=a canadian tree, and a q word without a "u".
There you go,good luck next time, and have fun with it, your SAT is far more proof of your verbal mastery than Scrabble. We'll have to play next time, or will me winning be just too much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>